Geoffrey A. Manne is the Executive Director of the International Center for Law & Economics and a Lecturer in Law at Lewis & Clark Law School, where he teaches courses in Law & Economics.
Manne was an Assistant Professor of Law at Lewis & Clark from 2003 to 2008. From 2006 to 2008 he took a leave of absence from the school to direct a law and economics academic outreach program at Microsoft, and was Director, Global Public Policy at LECG, an economic consulting firm, until founding the ICLE at the end of 2009. Prior to joining the Lewis & Clark faculty he practiced law at Latham & Watkins in Washington, DC, where he specialized in antitrust litigation and counseling. Before private practice Manne was a Bigelow Fellow at the University of Chicago Law School, an Olin Fellow at the University of Virginia School of Law and a law clerk to Judge Morris S. Arnold of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. While clerking he taught a seminar on Law & Literature at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
During law school Manne was a research assistant to Judge Richard Posner, Comment Editor of the University of Chicago Law School Roundtable and a Staff Member of the University of Chicago Legal Forum.
Selected works by Geoffrey Manne
- Backdating Options and Why Executive Compensation is Not All about Norms, 2 Corporate Governance Law Review 385 (2006) Geoffrey A. Manne and Joshua D. Wright.
- Innovation and the Limits of Antitrust, 6 Journal of Competition Law & Economics 153 (2010). Geoffrey A. Manne and Joshua D. Wright.
- The FTC’s Misguided Rationale for the Use of Section 5 in Sherman Act Cases, 2 CPI Antitrust Chronicle (2010). Geoffrey A. Manne.
- Hot Docs vs. Cold Economics: The Use and Misuse of Business Documents in Antitrust Enforcement and Adjudication, 47 Arizona Law Review 609 (2005) Geoffrey A. Manne and E. Marcellus Williamson.
- Regulating Innovation: Competition Policy and Patent Law Under Uncertainty, Cambridge University Press (forthcoming 2010) (Geoffrey A. Manne and Joshua D. Wright, eds.).
- Comment on Intellectual Property, Concentration and the Limits of Antitrust in the Biotech Seed Industry, filed with the Department of Justice Antitrust Division on December 31, 2009, as “Comments Regarding Agriculture and Antitrust Enforcement Issues in Our 21st Century Economy” in response to the DOJ/USDA request for public comments for the agencies’ joint workshops on antitrust issues in the agricultural sector. F. Scott Kieff, Geoffrey A. Manne, Michael E. Sykuta, Joshua D. Wright.
- The Return of “Big is Bad”, The Deal Magazine (May 26, 2009) Keith N. Hylton, Geoffrey A. Manne, and Joshua D. Wright.
- US Antitrust Becomes More European, Forbes.com (May 18, 2009) Keith N. Hylton, Geoffrey A. Manne, and Joshua D. Wright.
- First Microsoft, Now Google: Does the Government Have it in for Consumers?, CNET News, July 2, 2011, Geoffrey A. Manne, Berin Szoka, and Joshua D. Wright.